Requisition ID: req27731
Job Title: Protection Assistant
Sector: Protection and rule of law
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Bidibidi, Uganda
Founded in 1933, the International Rescue Committee (www.rescue.org) is a world leader in relief, rehabilitation, and post-conflict development services for those uprooted or affected by violent conflict and oppression. The IRC is currently working in over 40 countries around the world, addressing both the immediate and lifesaving needs of conflict affected people in emergencies and the reconstruction needs of post-conflict societies.
The IRC began programming in northern Uganda in 1998 in response to mass displacement and devastation wrought by rebel group, the Lord’s Resistance Army. In 2002, the IRC expanded to the remote, conflict-affected region of Karamoja and in 2011, began working with refugees in Kampala. Monitoring the influx of South Sudanese refugees at the end of 2015, the IRC began scaling up its response to refugees arriving in the West Nile region. By promoting durable solutions that deliver on the interdependent aims of saving lives, strengthening institutions, and supporting social cohesion, the IRC in Uganda is laying the building blocks for long-term stability and development – bringing people from harm to home. The IRC currently works in 9 districts in Uganda, including Kitgum, Lamwo, Kyegegwa, Moroto, Amudat, Yumbe, Arua, Kasese and Kampala. The IRC will be moving into additional/new locations in refugee settlements in Kiryandongo and Zombo.
The Protection Assistant supports the Protection Officers with the implementation of Protection and Rule of Law program activities in the set‐up of protection interventions in Bidibidi Settlement. She/he will work closely with Community Based Volunteers in leading outreach and mobilization activities.
Duties and responsibilities
- Ensures daily operation of Information and Support Centers (ISCs) in assigned Zone.
- Provides timely feedback on issues and complaints raised by refugees at ISCs.
- Ensures all protection concerns and/or complaints by refugees are accurately assessed and recorded in the intake, either directly assisting and/or referring individual to appropriate service provider. The Protection Assistant will conduct one follow up of the case, according to operating procedures.
- Coordinates with service providers to strengthen referral pathway, including weekly referral/case meetings.
- Works with Protection Officers and Community Based volunteers to conduct protection information and awareness session ‐ community outreaches.
- Maintains and collects data in line with agreed procedures.
- Conducts PSN home visits, assessing needs and ensures adequate referral/assistance provided.
- Work closely with Community Based Volunteers, providing support and guidance in their activities.
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: Protection Officer
Position directly supervises: N/A
Indirect Reporting: Protection Manager
Other Internal and/or external contacts:
Internal: Community Services Officers, Legal Officers, Legal Assistants and Community Based Volunteers
External: UNHCR, OPM, and other Protection Actors.
Standards For Professional Conduct
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
Deadline for receiving applications is May 31st,2022
- Salary Offer 300000 - 50000000 UGX 300000-50000000 Month
- Full Address Bidibidi, Bidibidi, Uganda