Requisition ID: req29591
Job Title: Economic Recovery and Development Officer
Sector: Economic Recovery & Livelihood
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Compensation: UGX 0 – 0 Salary
Location: Yumbe, Uganda
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC helps people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover and gain control of their future. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home. The IRC has been working in Uganda since 1998 supporting nationals, refugees and various institutions in the country notably the government, community based organizations, the civil society and the private sector. The current program portfolio in Uganda includes health, peace building, gender-based violence, economic recovery and agribusiness, and children & youth. https://www.rescue.org/country/uganda
IRC has a country office in Kampala, a regional office in Kitgum, Kiryandongo and Moroto. Given the recent conflict outbreak in South Sudan, IRC re-opened the Yumbe Field site office to support refugees being settled in Bidibidi refugee settlement in Yumbe District and in Arua District, the IRC is one of the first responders to the emergency situation in Imvepi refugee settlement as well.
The IRC’s Economic Recovery and Development (ERD) sector is seeking to hire an ERD Officer to be based in Yumbe field office. The ERD officer will be responsible for the implementing Agriculture, Agri-business, financial inclusion, vocational skill initiatives and other activities aimed at building resilience of refugees and host community members in and around bidibidi settlement, Yumbe district.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Work closely with ERD Assistant and community Volunteers to mobilize the community to engage in agriculture activities
- Train farmer groups on Good Agronomic Practices, monitor and provide agriculture related support to farmer groups
- Promote proper post-harvest handling technologies and value addition among farming groups
- Plan for joint monitoring visit with stakeholders in Bidibidi settlement.
- Plan and participate in farmers’ day, world food day, trade fairs and other relevant celebrations.
- Create linkages between farmer groups and relevant private sector actors
- .Ensure all agricultural activities are properly documented using approved tools.
- Participate in resolving conflict and violence among farmer groups and provide feedback to ERD Manager.
- Support formation, mentoring, training, and supervision of collective marketing committees
Develop Marketing quarterly and donor reports for the Agribusiness activities.
- Organize farmer groups to sell collectively to potential buyers.
- Financial inclusion
- Facilitate the formation of VSLAs following the VSLA principles and methodology
- .Train volunteers and VSLAs on VSLAs component
- Conduct enterprise selection and business skill training to VSLAs
- Support VSLA to register at the sub county or district to obtain certificates
- Support linkages of VSLAs to formal financial institutions
- Support routine monitoring and mentorship of VSLAs
- Support business registration with the district and sub county officesSupport business grant processes to VSLAs.
- Work with financial institutions to conduct financial literacy training to VSLAs
- Vocational Skills Development
- Collaborate with other project stakeholders to Identify youths out of schools and register them to attend vocational skills training
- Profile the different skills demanded by youths for placement or apprenticeship
- Map out apprenticeship training centers or placement centers for youths’ training Monitor the vocational skills development training of the youths and report the progress
- Plan with the instructors or institution for the graduation of the successful trainees
- Provide follow on support and mentorship to graduates of vocational skills training
- Monitoring, Reporting and Coordination
- Prepare weekly program reports, and compile lessons learnt to inform the future program
- .Collect relevant data during project implementation and provide regular reports to ERD Manager,
- Coordinate with the M&E staff and the wider ERD team where necessary to identify program quality issues
- Participate in the collection of data during assessments and post distribution surveys as and when required
- Participate in the verification exercise or MEAL research when needed
- Verify all records submitted by volunteers for agriculture activities before submission to M&E Officer.
- Produce activity completion reports for all agricultural activities implemented.
- Submit a comprehensive quarterly report on implementation of agricultural activities to the supervisor.
- Participate in weekly and monthly internal planning meetings and present monthly activity plan to the ERD manager Based on monthly activity plan prepare a monthly activity report and present to the ERD manager during the monthly planning meeting
- Participate in program planning to identify and develop ideas for projects and contribute to proposal preparation as assigned.
- Participate in collection of labor market information and other sector assessments
- Support HR and ERD sector to recruit ERD volunteers. Perform any other duties assigned by the supervisor
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
Ensuring the non-disclosure of any information whatsoever relating to the practices and business of IRC acquired in the course of duty, to any other person or organization without authority, except in the normal execution of duty.
- Bachelor of Science in Agriculture, Agribusiness, Food Security, Sustainable agriculture, or related field at degree level.
- At least 3 years of experience implementing Agriculture, VSLA, Vocational skills, cash for work, cash voucher programs Experience working with Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) proven abilities in beneficiary identification, registration & selection required.
- Demonstrated skills and competencies, in developing work-plans, data collection and analysis and program reporting.
- Strong ability to organize work, meet deadlines, maintain composure, priorities work under pressure.
- Excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills, creativity, and flexibility.
- Works well with others and promotes teamwork, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment, flexible and able to handle pressure well
- Good knowledge of word processing tools, excel and spreadsheets (computer skills).
- Fluent in the local dialect of West Nile.
AT LEAST 3 YEARS EXPERIENCE IN MOTORCYCLE RIDING AND WITH VALID RIDING PERMIT.
- Salary Offer 300000 - 50000000 UGX 300000-50000000 Month
- Full Address Kampala, Kampala, Kampala, Kampala, Uganda