EDUCATION DEVELOPMENT CENTER (EDC)
Education Development Center (EDC) is a global nonprofit that advances lasting solutions to improve education, promote health, and expand economic opportunity. Since 1958, we have been a leader in designing, implementing, and evaluating powerful and innovative programs in more than 80 countries around the world.
EDC promotes equity and access to high quality education and health services and products that contribute to thriving communities where people from diverse backgrounds learn, live, and work together. We support an inclusive workplace culture that embraces many perspectives and broadens our understanding of the communities we serve, enhancing and enriching our work.
The goal of the five-year, USAID-funded Integrated Child and Youth Development (ICYD) Activity is for Ugandan children and youth, especially the most vulnerable, to receive the support and services necessary to lead resilient, healthy, and productive lives. The ICYD Activity is expected to achieve the following:
- Children and youth have improved learning outcomes;
- Children and youth are safe and healthy in their community and learning environments; and
- Youth practice positive behaviors and are able to make informed decisions about their lives and relationships.
This Activity will address the mutually reinforcing relationship between improving learning outcomes and improving wellbeing and employ a comprehensive approach that merges PEPFAR/Orphans and Vulnerable Children strategy’s strengths in acute vulnerability stabilization with education’s broad protective effects.
The Program Assistant reports to the Chief of Party with responsibility for the management and coordination of work for a broad segment of the Organization (i.e. major program, sector, or office). The role of this post is to provide administrative and secretarial support services to the senior management team, including the Office of the Deputy Chief of Party. The Program Assistant is responsible to ensure the smooth running of the office. This involves management of information and coordination of matters within a substantive team. The post is a key interface with a broad range of contacts including high-ranking officials, both within and outside the Organization. The post prioritizes tasks and organizes work independently based on general direction from the supervisor. This is a full-time position based in Kampala, Uganda. Essential functions include (but are not limited to):
1. Administrative, executive assistance and secretarial support services to the Chief of Party to facilitate smooth running of the Office and effective processing of information and data:
- Helps manage the immediate office operations with respect to communications, meetings and workflow; identifies complex or sensitive subjects and contacts for special treatment, as well as priority issues that need to be brought to the supervisor’s attention. As appropriate, provides information and guidance to staff at all levels within the organizational unit to ensure understanding of intent and deadlines;
- Establishes internal tracking systems and procedures for correspondence and documents; monitors work progress and cases of priority and concern to the supervisor;
- Arranges appointments and maintains supervisor’s calendar, receiving high ranking visitors, placing and screening telephone calls and answering enquiries; organizes high-level meetings, taking responsibility for finalization of the meeting agenda, invitations, the production and distribution of documentation, and preparation of meeting minutes and follow up, including distribution of meeting reports and information;
- Organizes and facilitates the administrative work of the office, including establishment of internal procedures and tracking systems for correspondence and documents: receives screens and registers correspondence and documents;
- Collects and prepares briefing materials for supervisor concerning official trips or special meetings; undertakes travel arrangements for supervisor, including arrangement of itinerary, visas, and hotel reservations; ensures offices are informed of travel arrangements and requirements; briefs supervisor of important developments upon their return.
2. Professional image projected through in-person and telephone interaction. Discretion exercised with confidential information and complex sensitive subject matter:
- Keeps abreast of activities of importance, latest policies, procedures and organizational changes affecting the team;
- Establishes and maintains a records management system containing reference materials and confidential records, as required;
- Prepares briefing materials for supervisor concerning official trips or special meetings; drafts responses to written inquiries on a variety of routine and non-routine questions; communicates sensitive information to senior management and coordinates responses to sensitive inquiries on behalf of the supervisor.
3. Effective preparation and knowledgeable delivery of correspondence/communications, documentation and reports contributing to achievement of work objectives:
- Prepares correspondence for the supervisor’s signature and may make informal translations into another official languages, as required; drafts non-substantive correspondence based on first-hand knowledge of work schedule or events, rough notes, or verbal instructions for supervisor’s approval;
- Communicates sensitive information to senior level managers and coordinates responses to sensitive inquiries on behalf of the supervisor;
- Follows up on the preparation by staff of reports, correspondence, briefing notes and other documents for the supervisor’s reference; reviews these documents for appropriate format and style, in accordance with standard practices;
- Selects and makes pertinent abstracts and searches for information, as directed.
4. Well managed and effective office operations, systems and procedures that facilitates team work and the work of the office:
- Works closely with team colleagues and provides support in achievement of work priorities and objectives;
- Establishes follow-up system of actions taken and reports to the supervisor;
- Undertakes any other duties assigned by the supervisor.
The candidate for the position of Program Assistant shall have at a minimum the following qualifications:
Experience and Skills
- Secondary education;
- Minimum of 2 to 3 years of experience in a similar position;
- Excellent skills in MS Word and Excel;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Excellent interpersonal skills to work with staff at all levels in the organization;
- Experience working with USAID and PEPFAR funded projects will be an advantage;
- Must be proactive, able to work independently and meet tight deadlines;
- Must be able to work within a cross cultural setting, negotiate diplomatically, and function well under pressure.
Fluency in English is required.
Job closing date: December 14, 2021
Applications submitted without a resume or CV will not be reviewed.
Due to the volume of applications submitted, only finalists will be notified. No phone calls, please.
EDC is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to enhancing the diversity of its workforce and ensuring a highly inclusive work environment. EDC is a smoke-free workplace, and offers a supportive work environment, competitive salary, and excellent benefits.
This announcement is made possible by the support of the American People through the United States Agency for International Development (USAID). The contents of this notice are the sole responsibility of Education Development Center, Inc. (EDC) and do not necessarily reflect the views of USAID or the United States Government.
Subscribe to Get Job Updates via Email
- Address: Kampala, Kampala, Uganda